clay

Carpe Diem #1076 clay


Uncle Clay was my hero.  Uncle Clay was in the tank division under George Patton during the Battle of the Bulge during WWII.  His brother, my Uncle Bud, was in the war, too.  Uncle Bud was in the hospital in England when his infantry division advanced using the tank division of Uncle Clay.  These two brothers returned from that war.  Being a baby boomer I was born not long after thy returned.  Uncle Bud was not around as much.  Uncle Clay was always around.  I loved him with the love of a young child.  He loved me so very much, too.  He wanted me to meet his girlfriend and her children before he would marry her.  I fell in love with the girlfriend and her children just as he had.  Uncle Clay, Aunt Celistine, and Jerry are gone now.  Now only ChipChip and I remain.  But that love from Uncle Clay still is with me.

from the earth
molded by hands of strength
a loving heart

©  petra domina

Thanks to Chèvrefeuille for daily prompts on 

CARPE DIEM HAIKU KAI



never happier than when with my Uncle Claydee



Comments

  1. ... I also had an Uncle Bud, and my Grandfather was in North Africa fighting Rommel. Your haibun makes me think of them, and miss them very much.

    Very sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those guys were really special people. I remember Uncle Clay telling me a few years before he died he was excited to be in the army because he got a pair of good shoes. Can we say a kid of the depression?

      Delete
  2. Such a good slice of history in this one. I'm loving your Uncle Clay! Strong men those too! Thanks for the peek in. And the haiku just cements it. Great work Janice:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good slice of history in this one. I'm loving your Uncle Clay! Strong men those too! Thanks for the peek in. And the haiku just cements it. Great work Janice:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your story of a special uncle in this beautifully written haibun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, lynn_

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

tombstone

new ways

candle light