tombstone

Carpe Diem's Tan Renga Wednesday #11 family tombstone


Five years ago this very morning my mother died.  I had spent the night with her at the new nursing home we had just moved her to the previous day.  She was not happy.  Due to loss of eyesight in one eye, falling and breaking a wrist in less than 5 weeks she developed delirium.  She was still enough of herself that as we were getting her ready for bed she made one statement.  "I am gonna get up and walk right out of this place by morning."  Around 7 AM I left to get a cup of coffee and stretch my legs.  When I returned her life force was gone. 


adding father’s name
to the family tombstone
with room for my own

© Nicholas Virgilio

saints gather to greet arrivals
she ran to Dad's arms

© petra domina

Comments

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. This year will be the tenth year anniversary of my father's passing. He really wasn't himself anymore at the end. He had been ill for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I found it ironic that was today's challenge.

      Delete
  2. I felt this to my core. Yesterday would have been my father's birthday, but he died nine years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A common reality for all at some point in life. Being by myself when I found her was probably the best situation. I no longer can cry so I was able to make the calls to my three sisters and my own family. Defining times.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    You have paid excellent tribute here, Janice!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, YAM. You walked with me in those intense days via the internet. Seems like just yesterday. namaste, janice xx

      Delete
  4. Reality haiku ~ and your Mom 'did 'walk' out of the nursing home ~ in a spiritual way ~ good for her ~ Her soul lives on and watches over you ~ Hugs,

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry for your loss. She really did walk out on what she no longer wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing providence and touching tan renga, Janice! Feels like a holy space even today as I read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

new ways

A Trip Along Memory Lane