Pilgrimage of the Relics

Carpe Diem #1752 Pilgrimage of the Relics, Maastricht (The Netherlands)


Growing up in a Protestant faith, relics were not something I encountered.  In my 70th year while visiting Europe for the first time I finally saw them.  I still did not quite see how bones or a cup could have an influence on a person's faith.  As I read today's challenge post I began remembering the effect of standing by the dining tent used by George Washington during the Revolutionary War.  The. Actual.  Tent.  I was moved to tears.  And there it was, enlightenment, understanding.

dem bones
saintly remains
call to faithful

© petra domina


Relics in Stift Melk Abbey, Austria.  In the heaven on earth room.  April, 2016

Comments

  1. I love this poem! A great deal of feeling is embodied in a very few words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am drawn to attempting to be as short as possible. Just to see if I can do it.

      Delete
  2. Your comment yesterday rings true, Janice - I also focused on bones for this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dem Bones was absolutely the very first thing that popped into my mind. Then I had to look up the lyrics and listen to the song I have heard for as long as I remember.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

new ways

tombstone

A Trip Along Memory Lane